12 minutes video
Citadel and Vuelta del Castillo
The Citadel and Vuelta del Castillo, the green belt surrounding the former, are the green lung of and main reference point in the city. The area consists of 280,000 square metres of trees and lawns, which intermingle with a construction built between 1571 and 1645 to defend Pamplona. Its pavilions, moats, bastions, ravelins and glacis are now public leisure, sports and culture areas.
Palace of Navarre
Located next to the Plaza del Castillo, this mid-XIX building is now the most visible sign of Navarre"s historical identity. The complex, designed in 1840 by José de Nagusia, is home to the Presidency of the Government and a good number of administrative departments. It is more commonly known as “Diputación”.